I had a bit of a realisation this week. I’ve been aware that there is no such thing as a perfect person… that’s the same for husbands, wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, family and friends. We are all different and that is a wonderful thing. The thing is I have people in my life I absolutely love that I just haven’t been able to categorise throughout my project. I’ve toyed with they’re quite different to me, they’re sometimes too honest, this is someone I’ve actually had fall outs with, I’ve had ups and downs with, we’ve had years apart and found ourselves back in each others lives.
I wondered if they were heading to the detox list, but then I realised… I NEED this person in my life. I don’t need them for nights out, for day trips, for coffee meetups… I need them because they are more like family. They are beautifully honest, we’ve been through highs and lows and we’ve stuck together no matter what. This is a special kind of friend and definitely one to keep.
5 ways to identify your friend that is more like family
- They are brutally honest with you– You can rely on them to be nothing but honest. They’ll say things others may be thinking but just aren’t saying. They’ll pull you up when you’re being unreasonable, they’ll push you to do better, but if it comes to someone else being mean to you they will stick up for you no matter what.
- You know their whole family – if there’s a family party you’re the first person on the invite list. You’ve been to the birthdays, the weddings, the surprise parties, you’ve seen the breakups, the bad times and the good and you’ve now even outlived the childhood dog.
- You can be completely you in front of them– You can take a nap on their sofa no problem, they’ve helped you through drunk times, they’ve seen you through breakups and they’ve seen you at your worst and still stuck around.
- You have ups and downs but always pull through – you’ll tell each other how it is because you’re basically sisters and that’s what you do.Sometimes you have to bite your tongue but it’s worth it.
- They know more about you than your actual family– This friend is like your soul sister, they know how your feeling without you having to say a thing. Sometimes it feels like they know you better than you know yourself.