I was nervous and anxious. Could I really do a whole day out alone? My anxiety took a hold of me; what if something happens? What if I suddenly fall ill? But The Friend Coach in me knew I had to do this for me and for all other women like me out there. If we can’t spend time alone how are we possibly meant to be a great friend. I am all for self-care, self –love and being a strong independent woman. I like to be ready for life where life feels like taking me whether that be alone or not. I love horses and I have always wanted to go to Burghley Horse Trials so I thought why not? It would be something I enjoy, there will be plenty to see and do and I should be able to blend into the crowd. I am a photographer too so took my camera as a safety blanket. I arrived, paid for my ticket, parked my car and walked in. To my surprise, I actually felt quite comfortable. I had a wander around the shopping village, headed to the ‘celebrity talk area’, stopped Tim Price for a selfie and carried on my day. I bought myself some lunch and went and sat out of the way of the crowds to eat it. Once the main event was on I spent my time photographing and watching that I didn’t really stop to think I was alone at all. The day was done, I got in my car and headed for home. It was very successful and I definitely want to experience more things alone. I definitely have more to conquer such as more days out, eating in restaurants and going on holiday but this was a solid start at experiencing life alone.
My 5 top tips for a day alone:
- Charge your phone – If you are like me and get a bit nervous of what ‘might happen’ your phone will be a good comfort blanket. Charge it up and take a power pack as a backup. That way you know you will always have charge to make calls, access to a satnav should you need it and a camera to document your day.
- Tell someone where you’re going – for safety and peace of mind it’s good for at least one other person to know where you are going, where you’ll be and for how long.
- Pick a location that you’ve always wanted to go – Hello, positives of going alone. Do you research, pick somewhere you’ve always wanted to go and make yourself a plan. Write down your destination and everything you want to do while you’re there
- Take refreshments – I always find comfort in knowing I have water and snacks, if you have other things that bring you comfort bring those along too
- Relax– Be conscious to relax, walk slowly and take it all in. Enjoy your self-love day, treat yourself and enjoy every moment.
Have you dared venture out alone? Leave your story in the comments.